Destination (870 km)

  • Khor Virap monastery
  • Noravanq monastery
  • Areni village
  • Zorats Karer
  • Stepanakert
  • Gandzasar monastery
  • Askeran Fortress
  • Tigranakert
  • Shushi Fortress
  • St. Ghazanchetsots church

 Duration

  • 3 days / 2 nights

The tour package includes:

  • Transportation
  • Professional guide service
  • Hotels accommodations
  • Breakfasts
  • The cost of the entry visa to Artsakh Republic at 3500 AMD is not included in the package and is paid up to tourist.

The tour package price is per person and is set according to the number of participants and the requested services.

 

For further information please contact us by:

email : info@extra.am
Phone: (+374) 95 656 956

(+374) 55 656 956

Telegram: (+374) 95 656 956
imo: (+374) 95 656 956
Viber: (+374) 55 656 956
WhatsApp : (+374) 55 656 956

 

“We are our mountains”

Stepanakert
some heading here (optional here and everywhere)

Day 1

  • Khor Virap monastery
  • Noravanq monastery
  • Areni village
  • Zorats Karer

Start from Yerevan to Khor Virap monastery. Next stop is Noravanq monastery and Areni village. Next destination is Zorats Karer or Karahunj old observatory, the capital of Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. Dinner and overnight at the hotel in Stepanakert.

Day 2

  • Stepanakert
  • Gandzasar monastery
  • Askeran Fortress
  • Tigranakert

After breakfast a walking tour in Stepanakert. Visit the famous food market. After the city tour the next destination is Gandzasar monastery. Next stop is Askeran Fortress, Tigranakert archaeological museum. Overnight in Stepanakert.

Day 3

  • Shushi
  • Shushi Fortress
  • St. Ghazanchetsots church

In the morning drive to Shushi town. Visit Shushi Fortress and St. Ghazanchetsots church. Back to Yerevan.

For further information please contact us by:

email : info@extra.am
Phone: (+374) 95 656 956

(+374) 55 656 956

Telegram: (+374) 95 656 956
imo: (+374) 95 656 956
Viber: (+374) 55 656 956
WhatsApp : (+374) 55 656 956

 

BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE SIGHTS

According to historian Agatangeghos, King Tiridates III ordered to throw Gregory (who later became the first Catholicos of all Armenians) into the dark dungeon located in royal prison for spreading Christian. The next 13 years Gregory spent imprisoned in this dungeon. In the early Middle Ages in place of the royal prison a small church was built, which was destroyed during the later years. The present monastery was built in 17th century. From the monastery one can admire the beautiful view to the Biblical Mount Ararat.

Noravank monastery located not far from Areni village, in one of beautiful corner of Vayots Dzor region. The monastic complex includes the church of S. Karapet, S. Grigor chapel with a vaulted hall, and the church of S. Astvatsatsin (Holy Mother of God). Ruins of various civil buildings and khachkars are found both inside and outside of the compound walls. Noravank was the residence of the Orbelian princes. The architect Siranes and the miniature painter and sculptor Momik worked here in the latter part of the thirteenth and early fourteenth century. In the surrounding area are also caves, in one of them was found 5500-year-old leather shoe.

Areni village is located in Vayots Dzor region. The old and famous village of Areni is famous for its vineyards. In the village in 1994 was founded the winery, which sells grapes, pomegranate, fruit-flavored wines. Every year in October is held a Wine Festival, in the same period winemakers gather and offer their products. Of course, traditional wine festival will also include a song and dance. The festival is like a real big party.

Zorats Karer is a prehistoric megalithic period observatory. The archaeological site located near Sisian town in the Syunik Province of Armenia. They are basalt stones up to 3 meters of height, and there are round holes on them. The receipt method of holes is unknown so far. Similar structures have been in Europe. The ancient monument of Zorats Karer is an equivalent to England’s Stonehenge, only older.

Artsakh or Nagorno-Karabakh is a de facto independent sovereign republic. It is bordered by Armenia to the west, Iran to the south, to Azerbaijan to the east. The territory of Nagorno-Karabakh is 11.500 km2, population is 141.000. Artsakh was the tenth province of the Kingdom of Armenia. We can find many architectural masterpieces, such as the monastery of Gandzasar, Askeran-Mayraberd, Shushi, Shushi Fortress, St. Ghazanchetsots church and others.

Surrounded by mountains and dense forests, Stepanakert is an ideal place for rest. It is the capital of the autonomous republic of Nagorno-Karabakh. The heart of Stepanakert is the Veratsnund (Rebirth) square with the Presidential palace, buildings of the Parliament and the Government and the Palace of Youth. There are also many parks, and numerous monuments of ancient streets of this small town. In the center of the capital there are many museums including the state historical museum and the local folklore museum, which hold unique exhibits about Artsakh’s history. The symbol of Stepanakert and of all of Artsakh is the monument “We and our mountains”, tenderly called by the inhabitants “Babig-Dadig” (the Grandfather and the Grandmother), which is built on a high hill near the entrance to the capital.

Artsakh is also rich in historical and architectural monuments, ancient monuments and monasteries, and one of them is Gandzasar. The monastery is standing on the high hill called Gandzasar, from where it got its name. The complex consists of a church, chapel, monastic compartment, refectory and other economic institutions. St. John the Baptist Church was built in 1216 – 1238 by sponsorship of the prince Hasan Jalal. The monastery and the surrounding areas were affected by the Karabakh-Azerbaijani war, but it still stands on merging with the beautiful natural surroundings.

Askeran fortress can be seen in fourteen kilometers to the east from Stepanakert, has been built in 18 century. Protective constructions stretch for more than 1,5 km оn both sides of the river Karkar. In XVIII century it was subject to serious reconstruction and afterwards acquired its present look. The fortification has walls with thickness up to two and height up to nine meters, the round patrol towers connected by narrow corridors. The powerful and impenetrable structure was built to protect the land and the people.

Tigranakert city in Artsakh was founded in the 1st century BC by Armenian King Tigran the Great. Although the first mention of this fact was in the 7th century. During excavations in 2006 was discovered the central part of the city, 4th century church and the citadel’s wall. Old Town is adjacent to the medieval castle. In 2010, it was rebuilt and opened the archeological museum dedicated to the study and preservation of artifacts unearthed from Tigranakert’s ruins. From the ruins of the city it is possible to organize a small hiking to the Vankasar. In this small hill built a 5th century church.

Shushi is a town of talking stones, which is surrounded by mountains and Hounot Canyon. It is the spiritual and cultural center of Nagorno -Karabakh. Shushi is greatly affected by the Karabakh-Azerbaijan war, and since liberation in 1992 by Armenians, efforts have been made to redevelop Shoushi. Shoushi has thus become a symbol for revival of the Armenian nation, and a place of pilgrimage for tourists.

Tourism is now developing here. There are numerous monuments of cultural heritage, museums, and churches. And all this is an excellent complement to the nature of Shushi. One can arrange a walking tour to Hounot Canyon, admire the famous “Zontikner” called stones, over which water flows creating umbrella style waterfall. In the canyon one can also see the medieval bridges, mills and the ruins of old houses.

The one of main sights of Shushi is Shushi Fortress, which is situated near the town entrance. It was built in the 18th century. The walls of the citadel are fully preserved. Fortress was the length of 2.5 km, while the towers were 7-8 meters high. It was reconstructed in 1826 after the Russian-Persian war.

St. Ghazanchetsots Cathedral is an architectural masterpiece of Shushi. It was built between 1868 and 1887 and has a facade of white limestone. In front of the west entrance is a freestanding three-story bell tower, constructed in 1858. Large statues of angels blowing trumpets stood at each corner of the bell tower’s second story. However, they were destroyed during the Nagorno-Karabakh War. After the war the church was repaired and renovated. Under the church altar is located a room which has an amazingly interesting echo system.